Monday, June 8, 2009

Car Keys and Storm Drains don't mix

In the latest edition of "Pulling a Hamilton" we find our hero at work in 1998....

I work in admissions at Wichita State. One of the schools I was responsible for at the time was El Dorado High School in El Dorado, KS. El Dorado is about 30 minutes from Wichita, 25 if you speed. I had timed everything to where I could leave 30 minutes early and get there with a couple of minutes to spare. I went to the car with my bag, keys, and some forms that I had to fill out after the visit. In my dash to get to the car in a timely manner I had my hands full. Aaron Hamilton and hands full is a recipe for disaster.

I went to set my keys and the paperwork on top of the car. Silence. Usually when you set keys down on a car you hear the clanging of key metal on metal. Silence. I set my bag down. No keys. Anywhere. Looking around I saw a flash of light off of metal. Unfortunately, the keys had fallen down the storm drain right under the passenger door of the car. I ran inside knowing I was going to be late and I hate being late. I grabbed Neal. For those of you who don't know Neal he is a card. I told him, "Come with me and don't ask questions!" He did. He's that kind of guy. After he and I tried to get the storm drain off to no avail I switched cars, told him to get them out of there, and took off. Neal didn't owe me anything but he was having a good laugh. The physical plant guys came to get the keys out. I had to buy them a case of beer so they wouldn't spread the word.

This is one example of "Pulling a Hamilton".

1 comment:

Feel free to provide any feedback you have.